195 Worshippers
58 Worshipping
amishoard

Ami's Hoard

To Read is To Live

Well Traveled (Margaret Mills and Tedy Ward)

Well Traveled - Margaret Mills, Tedy Ward

This ‘old’ book (hey, it was released in 2010 – for MM romance genre, I considered it old *ha!*) came into my periphery by way of a personal challenge. Back in January, I did a personal reading challenge with MM historical as the theme. This was one that I listed because of the positive reviews of my friends. I didn’t get the chance to read it back in January but it stayed on my list.

Well, I finally read it and it was a really well-written and wonderful book!! I admit, the beginning was rather slow; as we got to meet Gideon Makepiece, a young 20-year-old horse trainer and Jedediah Buffalo Bird, a mix-breed of Native American. However, once I got into the rhythm of the story telling, and how Gideon and Jed made their way to take the trip across thousand miles from Montana to California – just by walking and on horse … I simply couldn’t stop reading.

It was a journey – yay, road trip! – between these two men with different race and different background, and it was just the two of them, in open space … talking about life, exchanging stories, learning cultural tradition, and I was charmed. Gideon was easily the more friendly and approachable of these two men. He was such a decent young man and he had a positive attitude. He took care of Jed because it was the right thing to do, no matter what skin color Jed had. Jed was more reserved, more careful – understandable remembering his history – but it was easy to see that Gideon got under his skin.

This was the kind of a subtle and lovely story that just warmed my soul (I got choked up near the end, it was romantic to me). Not that everything was happy, though – being a white man going together with a Native American, there was an additional threat, which was not easily hid compared to them being lovers because white men didn’t easily accept Native Americans in that time period. Then there was also a sad story involving a family that Gideon and Jed met along their journey. However, it felt authentic and made up for one engaging read.

I don’t read many western historical books but if I can find more like these one, I will be a very happy reader.