197 Worshippers
59 Worshipping
amishoard

Ami's Hoard

To Read is To Live

What I Talk About When I Talk About Running (Haruki Murakami)

What I Talk About When I Talk About Running (Vintage International) - Haruki Murakami

This year (2014), one of my reading resolutions is to read more non-fiction -- at least one title a month; just to expand my reading experience. I thought it would be safe to start with an author that I love.

The bulk of this book is exactly what the title said ... about running. Murakami writes how running keeps him in shape and even helps him writing his novels. He talks about preparing himself for marathon and next for triathlon. He talks about running in some parts of the world, including from Athens to Marathon. And just like his fiction writing, the style works well for me. Especially because I can seem to connect with some of his thoughts. It's an easy reading, with humorous tone here and there that just makes me chuckling along with it.

This was just make-believe; there had to be a trap lying in wait. Maybe a school of vicious, poisonous jellyfish. Or a pre-hibernation, ravenous bear would charge at my bike. Or an unfortunate bolt of lightning would zap me right in the head. Or maybe I’d be attacked by a swarm of angry bees. Maybe my wife, waiting for me at the finish line, was going to have discovered some awful secrets about me (I suddenly felt like there might actually be some). -- Chapter 9

I admit there are parts that I don't care about -- I think I skim the chapter of his ultra marathon. While other parts I'm really interested with, like when he runs in the original city of Marathon. Or when he experiences an anti-climax of running New York Marathon.

All in all, an enjoyable non-fiction, even if it covers a LOT about running.