198 Worshippers
60 Worshipping
amishoard

Ami's Hoard

To Read is To Live

Rookie Move (Sarina Bowen)

Rookie Move (A Brooklyn Bruisers Novel) - Sarina Bowen
3.5 stars

Brooklyn Bruisers is a new series from Sarina Bowen, loosely tied-in as a spin-off from her Ivy Years series, but can still be read as stand-alone. To start this series, we have Leo Trevi and Georgia Worthington. Leo and Georgia were high-school sweethearts until the night something bad happened to Georgia. Then she decided to end things with Leo. Six years later when they meet again, this time Leo is the rookie for Brooklyn Bruisers hockey team, where Georgia works as the publicist.

From the beginning, I declared myself #teamLeo. How could I not? This young man states clearly from the very get go for all readers to know that Georgia is “the love of my life” even before Georgia and him reunite for real. Leo never stops loving Georgia, even if she is the one breaking his heart.

Then, when the Coach – who also happens to be Georgia’s father – clearly hates his guts and tries to make things rather difficult for him, Leo determines to prove his worth. He doesn’t get bitter, or lash out, or act like a jerk. No siree. He does what the Coach wants, he proves that he is a good player, while at the same time respects Georgia’s wishes when needed. Although it doesn’t mean that he stops pursuing her. Because …

“There’s not one thing about it that’s complicated. You’re mine, Georgia Worthington. I don’t care what your fucking dad thinks. I spent six years trying to get over you, and it didn’t take. Our time is now.”

So hell yeah, I was #teamLeo all the way. I loved him and everything that he did.

It was Georgia and to that extent, her father, that I had problem with. I should have sympathized with Georgia for what happened to her. But the way that she acts like it isn’t a big deal by never wanting to talk about it, pushing Leo away, then getting all huffy and puffy when Leo walks in with a girl, it frustrated me. Girl, you said it yourself, “Leo was my rock and he was one of the people who got me through it” … so it grated on my nerves to read about Georgia being hot and cold with Leo.

And don’t let me get started with her dad, the Coach. For hating Leo without actually knowing what happened? Argh!! Well, at least that guy knows how to apologize *grumbles*

Another thing, I wasn’t sure about Leo and Georgia going forward with their sexy times without first addressing her past. It was quite a serious subject. But I felt like it was swept away under the rug with the hockey games, the background administration of the game, the trading gossip, as well as the romance between Leo and Georgia at the same time. I wasn’t sure whether it was the right way to deal with it.

Despite it all, I thought Sarina Bowen created a wonderful start of a series here. The secondary characters shine bright as well – I especially loved Becca, Silas, even the billionaire owner. I am booking the ticket to read the next book about the captain and the massage therapist/yoga trainer most definitely.

Trigger Warning: Past-Mentioned of Rape

A Guest Review for The Blogger Girls

The ARC is provided by the publisher via Netgalley for an exchange of fair and honest review. No high rating is required for any ARC received.