198 Worshippers
60 Worshipping
amishoard

Ami's Hoard

To Read is To Live

The Hidden Oracle (Rick Riordan)

The Hidden Oracle - Rick Riordan

When I first heard about Riordan releasing series about Apollo, I was pretty excited. I didn't know what Riordan prepared for Apollo but I really didn't care. I do like the fact that Riordan expanded his series with Norse mythology, however, the original Greek demigods still have a special place in my heart.

Just like the rest of Riordan's books, I thought it was fun. The way that Riordan wrote Apollo was different compared to Percy, Jason, or Magnus. Yes, Apollo is physically seen as a sixteen year-old boy -- but he still kind of retains the god way of thinking as an adult. It resulted in an interesting read! Although ,it was pretty challenging to deal with Apollo's narcissistic, woe-is-me, self-centered thoughts as well. I found myself in the state of wanting to punch the hell out of him or just groaning in misery *lol*. Apollo is definitely the Gilderoy Lockhart of the series.

Having said that, there was something rewarding in reading about a god learning to be mortal. I believe that his trials will make Apollo a better god. Already he is making choices that not only gives him advantages. Already he feels a kinship and responsibility to Meg. So with more trials that Apollo must face in order to deal with the missing Oracles, I believe there will be stronger character development for this god.

Another thing that I would like to highlight -- I LOVE the way that Riordan wrote about Apollo's bisexuality without feeling like Riordan was preaching or giving a lesson to readers in a blatant way. Apollo has two greatest loves of his life, Daphne (a girl) and Hyacinthus (a boy). And that's it. It flows into the story in a natural way and I loved that.

I think this will be another entertaining series for me to enjoy ^^

PS: Will and Nico are boyfriends, people. BOYFRIENDS! Oh, and Leo Valdez is BACK! With Calypso!! Looks like they will join Apollo for the next book!

(show spoiler)